Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Love Letters – Page 9
Love Letters – Page 9 Download PDF
I never considered the possibility of me going on ahead and leaving you motherless until I held you in my hands, until I heard your voice, saw your smile, and felt your touch. I want to watch you grow and encourage you through life.
Even if I live to be one hundred years old, it will be far too early to go. I don’t want to be a memory that fades. I don’t want to be a hole in your heart. I don’t want to go.
So, I give you this book. Love letters. These letters bridge death and speak life. I whisper wisdom with ink: Chase only what matters. Diligently seek the Lord. Always, always, always get up after a fall.
I fill page after page with inked love, leaving behind the best thing I can—hope, unshakeable hope. When yesterday fades and today overwhelms, there is hope for tomorrow—a thousand tomorrows. There will be a thousand tomorrows of worshiping the one true God together. So, seek the Father and we won’t have to say good-bye. We can say, “Until then.”
I pray my love letters will lead you to His love letter, to His wisdom breathed out by the Spirit and transcribed in ink. He wrote a love letter to us. His words fill the gaping hole of a wounded soul. His book doesn’t merely bridge death—it became life to defeat it. His Word names hope: Jesus. His Word came alive and dwelt among us. Embrace it.
All Scripture is God-breathed…
All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.
2 TIMOTHY 3:16-17 NLT
Link to video: https://youtu.be/7khfDlsVMb4
- Read 2 Timothy 3 vs 16-17. Discuss the importance and purpose of God’s love letter to mankind.
- What would the world look like if we did not have the bible? What right & wrong ways has it been used?
- How do we know the bible is true? What evidence is there?
- Many say they do not believe the bible, yet they have never investigated it. Why should they?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – You Were Not A Mistake – Page 13
You Were Not A Mistake – Page 13 Download PDF
In utero, your heartbeat sang a song of praise to God, joining the orchestra resounding His name.
This was all before I felt your first note flutter.
The Creator, Composer, and Redeemer of souls, tuned your purpose and composed your score into a song only you can sing. Your days—notes on life’s concerto— are part of a larger symphony, playing for His pleasure.
With great precision, He shaped you into a delicate image bearer of the mighty God, destined to reflect His glory in a masterpiece of great worship. No matter the instrument or length of the score, the resounding harmony rises to the ears of the Lord and fills the heavens.
He made you to praise Him. Whether you play an instrument great or small, play boldly in the opus of the Creator, the maker of all things.
After all, God is the one who gave life to each of us before we were born.
JOB 31:15 CEV
- So, if this world did not happen by chance & God gave me life, what is my purpose?
- What scriptures do we need to turn to when dealing with the lie of unworthiness?
- Read Acts 17 vs 24-26. If we all descended from the same two people, how can there be so many races?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – You Were Chosen – Page 15
You Were Chosen – Page 15 Download PDF
My precious child, you are not merely a product of our love. You are a product of God’s love. He chose you while your growing form was yet unknown to us. He thoughtfully considered your existence before your first breath. He wrote your days into His book of life before one of them ripened.
He gifted us a glimpse of multiplying cells on a fuzzy, dark screen. Your heartbeat thundered through the room and mine thundered through my ears. He revealed your newly formed shape. You were a tiny, bean-sized, being who was fragile but strong, unfinished but finished.
He delights in your details, and we delight in observing how those particulars come to be. Your eyes, nose, lips, hair, skin, ears, and fingerprints are strokes of the Master’s brush. Your marvelous design reflects Him—and us.
You are ours, knit within, chosen and loved. But, even more, you are His, knit together, chosen and loved.
In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will.
EPHESIANS 1:11 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/6SaDiMcR9ss
- Think of God’s design of you, your hands, eyes, ears, nose, sense of taste, hunger pains…why?
- What if we all looked the same? Same face, same voice, size etc. Could the world function?
- Why would God, the final judge, design every human to be different?
- What does the bible say about being chosen?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – I Longed to Feel You Move – Page 17
I Longed to Feel You Move – Page 17 Download PDF
Your tiny newness, growing within the shelter of my skin, came alive in wondrous wavy, gray lines. At my first glimpse of your fearfully and wonderfully made form, as I clutched that first grainy picture of your essence, the wonderment and responsibility of motherhood weighed heavy. Your very life depended upon me.
And, much like how I long to feel your movement within, how I caress my swollenness in hope of a flutter, a kick, or sensation of you, God longs for us to move in Him. If my broken, flesh-wrapped temple for the Holy Spirit can shelter you and sustain life, how much more will the very maker of life do for those He called into existence?
For now, you are protected within, pressed up against the essence of my love. But one day, I pray you will depend on your Father for more than breath, knowing that breath itself is a gift from Him.
For in Him we live and move and have our being.
ACTS 17:28 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/0ty2cP3auo0
- What are practical ways we can move in God?
- Think of some examples of how someone moving in God impacted your life?
- What does it mean to be “spiritually dead”?
- What does it mean to be “alive in Christ”?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Every Day is a Gift – Page 19
Every Day is a Gift – Page 19 Download PDF
The flesh comes together in an ancient dance of matrimonial love. Its tender union is blessed and designed by the Father.
He grows you in my skin. My nourishment sustains you. My womb cradles you until His predetermined time. Even though I hold you for nine wondrous months, I did not create you.
You are fashioned by Him.
God is the maker of men, as it was in the very beginning. He breathes life, numbers days, and determines time.
He is sovereign over circumstance. Whether born to riches or poverty, greatness or simplicity, the Lord appoints your environment for His glory.
He numbers your heartbeats, from the very first one that tickled my ribs. Life is a great gift of love.
Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
PSALM 139:16 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/LVHK8awsBGE
- If God is sovereign over everything, why do bad things happen to good people?
- What is free will? How does this impact our relationship with a sinless God?
- What does it mean to live for an audience of ONE?
- What does the bible say about time management?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – He Designed You to Thrive Within Community – Page 21
He Designed You to Thrive Within Community – Page 21 Download PDF
Like a puzzle, God fits you together inside my womb. Each part, intricate and complex, is fashioned by the maker of life for the purpose of a healthy whole that will glorify Him.
Like a puzzle, a church family fits. Some are strong in faith, some are warm in love, and some are full of virtue. Each part is gifted and designed by God for the purpose of a healthy whole that will glorify Him.
Both bodies are precious.
I do my part. As your life develops, I shelter you, knowing the growing pains of multiplying cells and stretching muscle over bone is accomplished by your maker through me.
He does His part. As my life develops, He shelters me, knowing the growing pains of multiplied dependence and challenged convictions are accomplished through the community of His people.
We were made for His purposes.
He makes the whole body fit together perfectly. As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love.
EPHESIANS 4:16 NLT
Link to video: https://youtu.be/tqulxncw854
- How would the world function if God gave us all the same talents, strengths and weaknesses?
- What does the bible say about being blessed with different talents and gifts? Do you know yours?
- What does it mean that the church is the body of Christ? What are the church’s responsibilities?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – We Prepared for You – Page 23
We Prepared for You – Page 23 Download PDF
Creation took six days. 144 hours. 8,640 minutes.
God prepared the earth for His children. When darkness cloaked the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God lingered over the face of the water, He spoke light. He spoke into the emptiness and separated morning from night. He commanded waters to flow only so far, and transformed an empty earth into richness. He filled the land, sea, and sky—declaring His creation as good.
He made man in His image, male and female. He blessed them, and gave the command to multiply. Days, months, and years go by, bringing us here, preparing for you.
Nine months. Forty weeks. 403,200 minutes.
We assemble crib pieces, colour parched walls, and dress naked windows. We stack stories high and fill empty drawers with eager longing and anxious anticipation.
We prepare for the laborious and joyous day when birth pains declare your imminent arrival and the miracle of new life is celebrated afresh. We declare it is good.
For this is what the LORD says – he who created the heavens, he is God; he who fashioned and made the earth, he founded it; he did not create it to be empty, but formed it to be inhabited – he says: “I am the LORD, and there is no other.”
ISAIAH 45:18 NIV
- How did God prepare the earth for human habitation?
- Read Romans 1 vs 19-21. Are YOU without excuse?
- Read John 14 vs 1-7. What is the Lord doing right now? Why is it important that we know Him?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – We Prayed for You – Page 25
We Prayed for You – Page 25 Download PDF
Lord, you are everlasting love. You patiently wait, wishing none should perish. My children are your children. As much as I will love them, you already love them more. So, I ask for your mercy.
Plant them like trees by streams of water, rooted and grounded in love, yielding fruit in season with leaves that do not wither.
Make your Word richly dwell within, teaching and admonishing them, growing thankfulness in their hearts.
Stir up love for one another, patience and kindness, keeping them humble, ever seeking you and rejoicing in your truth. Your unfailing love will protect them.
Call them to you, open their eyes, so they might place their eternal hope in you.
May they ask in faith, believing that you are the giver of all that is good.
Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.
PROVERBS 22:6 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/EJrGeooX0S8
- What is the importance of prayer? Why is it important to God? Why should we pray for loved ones?
- If God knows all and has a plan for us, why do we still need to pray?
- Read through the following passages and record the reasons why God may not be answering your prayers
1 Peter 3:7
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – I Will Always Do What Is Best for You – Page 27
I Will Always Do What Is Best for You – Page 27 Download PDF
I would give it all up, my last bite, my last sip, my last dollar, my life.
I would give everything to ensure your happiness. But feeding a sense of entitlement will move you far from the one you need most. Beyond having more, you need to want what you already have. You need to understand what you need and hold loose to desire.
Sometimes the answer will be no. Sometimes the blessing is the refusal. You will ask in ignorance for harmful things. I will protect you from your desires and teach you your place as the child. I am the parent. Decisions are made that you cannot understand.
Much like decisions God makes that we don’t understand. Sometimes He says no. Sometimes His blessing is the refusal. He protects us from our selfish desires because more than our happiness, He wants us to learn our place as the created.
He is the Creator whose thoughts are not our thoughts, whose ways are not our ways.
Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
MATTHEW 6:26-27 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/RcKEhSrZvug
- What is trust? Who do you trust? Why do you trust them?
- Find Scriptures throughout the bible about putting your Trust in the Lord
- Why should we trust God to take care of ALL our needs? How do we trust him with everything?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – You Will Not Be Forsaken – Page 29
You Will Not Be Forsaken – Page 29 Download PDF
This broken world is marred by sin.
This blemished heart is flawed. Despite giving my very best, I will, inevitably, fail you. The very best of me is crippled by heartbreaking, inexcusable sin.
Yet God works out my sanctification.
Every day, I can choose how to parent. Will I put off pride and put on humility? Will I put off impulse and put on patience? Will I put off irritation and put on love? Will I put off temper and put on self-control?
What if I planted seeds of grace, mercy and forgiveness? What if I watered what really needed to grow?
Maybe then, this imperfect mother won’t block your view of the Father. Maybe letting you see the pieces that make up this fractured heart will help you understand that perfection is only found in one person — God. And together we can look past my failures to one who never fails.
God is your perfect Father. Fix your eyes on Him.
Even if my father and mother abandon me, the LORD will hold me close.
PSALM 27:10 NLT
Link to video: https://youtu.be/gtc0zMQl6bw
- What is the difference between putting your faith in God versus putting your faith in man?
- Parent to child love is like no other. What would the world look like if this love did not exist?
- God will never leave you, nor forsake you. Find scriptures in the bible that point to this truth
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – I Want to Be Chosen – Page 35
I Want to Be Chosen – Page 35 Download PDF
You are my flesh. You burst forth, wet and weeping. My cries join yours, and with an insatiable thirst I drink you in.
God’s ordained day has arrived.
I finally cradle my heart in my hands. You are bone of my bone, flesh of my flesh, here at last. Your heart beats outside the protection of my body. I hold tight with open hands, trusting you to the one who loves you even more than I do. Our God.
He tucks you underneath the shelter of His wings. His jealous love holds tight while waiting to be chosen. His holiness demands what is His and longs for His children to turn to Him for comfort.
And I understand. I want to be chosen.
I want to wipe your tears, hold your hand, and chase away the darkness. I want to be the one to whom you turn, the one whose advice you seek because you are mine and I am jealous of your love.
But never confuse the jealousy of this sinful mother with the holy jealousy of a sinless God. He is the only one with absolute rights to your heart and your soul.
Our God is a jealous God. He is jealous of what belongs to Him, and you are His – even before you were mine.
You must worship no other gods, for the Lord, whose very name is Jealous, is a God who is jealous about his relationship with you.
EXODUS 34:14 NLT
Link to video: https://youtu.be/J-bQ3zVJQ3Y
- Why would God make the first commandment, ”You shall have no other gods before me” Exodus 20:3
- What is the difference between our jealously for others or things versus God’s jealously for us?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – I Want the Best for You – Page 37
I Want the Best for You – Page 37 Download PDF
You are here; you are mine.
But really, you are His. He has shared you with me for an unforeseeable number of days. I cherish each one while yearning for many. I want our days to number more than the grains of sand on the shore or the stars in the sky.
I want to get this mother role right. I want to provide a good education, teach you fine manners, encourage solid friendships and a healthy body image. I want to secure happiness, peace, and joy for you. I long to impart respectability, integrity and appreciation.
But most of all, I ache to train you in the ways of the Lord. I ache to pass on a settled belief that He is good and He knows best. His ways are not our ways but He can be trusted — even when He takes away.
I trust that when His answer to our prayers is no, it is for my good and His glory.
Ultimately, what I want for your life and for my life is to bring Him glory, great glory.
That is our purpose. That is my prayer.
The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.
JOB 1:21b ESV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/6NyXPuRYCGs
- In what ways do parents want the same as what God wants for us?
- What happens to the child with no direction or correction?
- What does it mean? “it takes a village to raise a child”
- God’s word is our manual for direction in this life. What are verses that point to God’s will for us?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – You Were Made in My Image – Page 39
You Were Made in My Image – Page 39 Download PDF
A tender union foreshadows you, birthing love from a mixture of the best of us. My familiar silky curls have reproduced in you, making a mini-me. The hazel in your eyes belongs to your daddy.
You are fashioned in our likeness and born into our lineage and, Lord willing, you will bring honor to our family name. You come from us, and we come from Him.
We are made in the likeness of God, created to glorify the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We are baptized into his name.Our soul reflects the Father and, Lord willing, we will bring honor to His name.
We love you because you are so obviously ours.
The Father loves us. We are obviously His, made to reflect His glory.
Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”
GENESIS 1:26 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/g5Yl1g0dhwk
- Why was it important to God that we know that we were created in His image?
- Why was it in God’s design that our children look like us?
- If we are image bearers of Christ, what should our lives look like and reflect?
- How are we created in the image God?
5. How and why did God make us different from animals? What makes humans different from animals?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – You Are Mine – Page 41
You Are Mine – Page 41 Download PDF
For the Adopted Child.
My belly didn’t swell with your form, but my heart did. I didn’t rush to the hospital and endure hours of labor, I endured endless paperwork and hours, months, and years of waiting.
I was waiting for you. I found you. And you found me.
You don’t have my eyes, or Dad’s nose or Papa’s smile. Yet somehow you are a beautiful collection of the best of us, uniquely designed to be you. You reflect what really matters – character traits instilled with love.
You are an extension of me, a reflection of us.
So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.
GENESIS 1:27 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/SMSpVS4oxgs
- How do I become adopted into the family of God? What are the benefits?
- If we are adopted into the royal line of Jesus Christ…How should we live our lives?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – You Changed My Life – Page 45
You Changed My Life – Page 45 Download PDF
One look changed everything — your fisted hand, your pinched up, wailing face, your quivering body pressed between ours. We wept as the doctor declared you healthy and whole.
Unforeseen emotion swelled from within. Fierce protectiveness pulsed through my veins. Selflessness gripped my heart. And the hours became days, and the days became weeks. The weeks became months, and the months became years.
I still cannot believe you are mine.
I do for you all that my mother did for me, finally understanding her limitless love. Your dad’s unconditional love will, God willing, illustrate the unconditional love of your heavenly Father.
You don’t yet know the Lord as well as you one day will. Like so many things, you might not appreciate Him in these early, easy years, but you will when your path gets harder.
I will give them a heart to know Me, that I am the LORD. They will be My people, and I will be their God, for they will return to Me with all their heart.
JEREMIAH 24:7 NIV 45
Link to video: https://youtu.be/5-MQDs2kFc4
- Why would someone feel unworthy of love? How can we combat this lie?
- How did Jesus Christ change the world?
- In the bible, what miraculous things did Jesus do that brought change to people and their lives?
- Jesus is still changing lives today. What is different in lives of believers in Jesus Christ? Why?
- Read Matthew 7:7 – Ask: Seek; Knock. Explain these steps in our journey to finding God.
- How is the love of a new parent for their baby similar to the love of a new believer toward God?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Follow Me as I follow Him – Page 47
Follow Me as I follow Him – Page 47 Download PDF
You burst from within, squawking and frightened. The doctor lays you against me and skin kisses skin. Familiar sounds swaddle your being and you settle into my words of love.
You know my voice. Your face turns toward my lullaby. You toddle after me. You separate my sounds from the noisy crowd, trailing like an obedient duckling.
You follow me as I follow God.
Together, we journey through this foreign land, seeking truth and seeking life. Listen for Him. Listen for the one who slipped into human skin to sing His lullaby.
When this noisy world beckons, perceive His voice and go after Him — Truth and life will wrap you in love.
Hold fast to Him — the one who never lets go.
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.
JOHN 10:27 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/wEkfjE5CtUc
- How does one distinguish God’s voice from our own?
- In what ways does The Lord speak to us?
- Followers of Christ are not following blindly. What evidence is there to prove Jesus is the truth?
- Find examples in the bible of how God communicates with His children.
- Jesus did not give us a rulebook, instead He said, “Follow me” What type of leadership is this?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – He Hears You – Page 49
He Hears You – Page 49 Download PDF
My new mother heart worries that I won’t hear you cry. A single droplet marks sorrow and fear. Will utter exhaustion delay me? A monitor dialled high connects our hearts, but still, I sleep lightly, listening.
I’m always listening for the sounds I know well. I know you, even when your call is jumbled among others, mixed within the playground chaos. I hear you.
Your voice stands out because you are mine. My ears perk. My heart quickens. I move in your need.
You sing to my heart as we share quiet togetherness, cuddling in bed, recapping your day. When you share heartaches, my heart aches deeper. I would take your sorrow upon myself, if I could. Instead, I pull you in close and whisper words of life.
Your heavenly Father aches for your wounds, for your sin, and He takes the weight of it upon himself because He loves you.
God hears your voice, your unique voice. No one in this big, entire world has the same voice as you.
God knows you and He always answers His children.
But God has surely listened and has heard my prayer.
PSALM 66:19 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/7Saw1P4eLzw
- What does it mean to “not take The Lord’s name in vain?” Why is this so important to God?
- What are the first three commandments? Why are these commandments so important to Him?
- Find examples in the bible of when people cried out to Jesus. How did He answer?
- Would the world work if we all had the same voice? What does this tell us about God and human design?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – I’m Committed to Love You – Page 51
I’m Committed to Love You – Page 51 Download PDF
Grins and cuddles will inevitably yield to tears and tantrums. An inherited sinful nature reveals undeniable truth.
All have sinned — even you, my precious, perfect child.
But even at your most unlovable — you are always loved. Always.
Love does not hinge on what you do, it hinges on whose you are. God’s. We love because God first loved us. He loved us when our smiles and tenderness yielded to tantrums and schemes.
When our inherited tendency toward sin and selfishness surfaced, it revealed our need for God’s love. He loves. Always.
His love does not hinge on what we do, it hinges on who He is and what He has done. He does not love because we are lovable. He loves because that is who He is.
Perfect love. Unearned, undeserved, unending love.
It’s how we love you. It’s how He loves us. It is a gift from Father to child.
We love because he first loved us.
1 JOHN 4:19 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/XL2H2-FUBjM
- Are we all born sinners? What does it mean to be born again?
- What scriptures show Christ’s unconditional love for us?
- If God’s love is unconditional, is everyone going to heaven? Can someone earn their way into heaven?
- What would happen if a child had the same unconditional love for their parents? Would the world work?
- How can you tell if someone is in love? With their spouse? With their children? With Jesus Christ?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – The Beautiful Paradoxes of Life – Page 53
The Beautiful Paradoxes of Life – Page 53 Downlad PDF
Motherhood: feed, diaper, love, repeat. The endless cycle of endless days generates years gone too quickly. It’s longing for tomorrow when you nap on schedule, tie your own shoes, or hold a conversation.
It’s wanting back yesterday because you are growing too fast. It’s a richness that lacks monetary value.
It’s being the final authority while knowing I hold no real authority at all.
As the paradoxes of motherhood prove true, I look deeper into the paradoxes of faith.
Get low to lift God high. Seeking wisdom displays wisdom. I lose my life to save it. I can know the mysterious God. Those who serve are blessed. We give and we gain. The weak are strong. Through faith, I come as a child but put away childish things. I confess my doubts and receive not an answer, but more faith.
When you were born these paradoxes proved true.
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
PROVERBS 9:10 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/4JxGMgSBljo
- What are some other faith paradoxes? Explain them
- Explain this paradox: Victorious in Christ’s wounds
- What does this mean: For when I am weak, then I am strong – 2 Corinthians 12:9-11
- What does getting low to lift Christ high look like? He must increase, but I must decrease – John 3:30
- How is the fear of the Lord the beginning of wisdom? – Proverbs 9:10
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – It’s Hard to Let Go – Page 57
It’s Hard to Let Go – Page 57 Download PDF
You are growing so fast. It’s hard to imagine the day I will let you go, the day when I will loosen my grip one finger at a time, peel your tiny body off mine, and place you in the arms of another. A teacher. A caregiver. A nurse.
I’ll learn the art of loving tight and holding with open hands, of planting roots and growing wings, of trusting you into the care of others — and into the care of your Father. I’ll smile bravely to impart bravery. And peace comes from leaving you in His hands. It is a settled belief that He is good.
Despite fears, circumstances, uncertainties, and unanswered questions, He holds it all and is watching over you.
When I worship Him in the difficulty of open hands, my praise becomes an offering of trust. It is a beautiful, full surrender to the one who has commanded angels to guard you.
You are my precious child, His precious creation.
For it is written:
For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
PSALM 91:11-12 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/BOXMXf_UKxU
- Our children can become idols. How do we avoid this and entrust them to God?
- What does the bible say about children leaving their parents?
- What is my responsibility as a christian parent?
- What are some encouraging bible verses about parenting?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Your Father’s Child – Page 59
Your Father’s Child – Page 59 Download PDF
You flash his crooked grin. You wink his sassy eye. You laugh with similar abandon. You cherish his worn Bible and copy his disciplines. You mimic his tone, compassion, and prayers.
When Daddy works hard, you vow to become a hard worker. You never give up or settle because you are your father’s child. You imitate your father as he imitates our Father, learning to easily love, readily forgive, and willingly sacrifice.
Just like our Father. You connect with the Vine and develop His traits, exuding the sweet fruit of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.
These are not inherited. These are learned after time spent with Him.
You are our Father’s child.
Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children.
EPHESIANS 5:1 ESV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/JPyinvSBqYI
- How can being filled with the Spirit help us be more like Christ? What are the fruits of the Spirit?
- According to the bible: What is generational sin? Is there a ‘generational curse’ for sin?
- Why is it important for those who profess Jesus as Lord, not deny Him by their lifestyle?
- How can a believer become more Christ like? What are good tools for keeping ourselves in check?
- What is our responsibility as believers when we see another believer fall?
- What is the Problem with being “Just A Sinner Saved By Grace”?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Story Time – Page 61
Story Time – Page 61 Download PDF
The books pile high. Fairies. Royalty. Adventure. Tragedy. We snuggle in for just one more. Your eyes drift closed and I weave a story, my story.
We all have a story to tell.
A harrowing drama might clutch your heart. Unimaginable adventures might whisk you away. Good and evil will clash. Who will prevail? There are many stories, but one hero.
One hero wrote our stories before the creation of the world, knowing He would enter in and empower us to reach up toward God as He reached down to us. My hero is your hero.
He left His kingdom to pursue us because our stories are not really about us.
Our stories are for the glory of God.
So live a story worth telling, reflecting how God walks with you through every paragraph, page, and chapter. Make your story one worth living.
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
HEBREWS 12:1 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/UbhmS7pmVLw
- The bible is full of rewritten stories. What biblical characters proved that failure isn’t fatal?
- How is Jesus like a superhero? Who are the enemies of Christ?
- One of the harder truths of life is that our life is not about us, so if true, Why are we here?
- How does God use tough times or trails to shape our lives?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Like a Child – Page 63
\Like a Child – Page 63 Download PDF
You touch and taste the world with trembling anticipation. An insatiable appetite heaps up books, begging for just one more. Empathy stirs deep feelings and deeper thoughts.
You are utterly dependent, trusting in our provision, forgiving when we fail, entering each day with hope and joy.
And we come to God like this, like a child.
With trembling eagerness, seeking Him in all creation. An insatiable appetite for holy wisdom probes His Word. Empathy stirs deep feelings and even deeper thoughts about justice and responsibility.
We are utterly dependent, trusting in Jesus’ payment, embracing forgiveness, approaching Him like a child.
Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child, shall not enter it.
LUKE 18:17 ESV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/OF_KxVUsgEw
- Read Matthew 19:14. Are all children saved? Does the bible teach an age of accountability?
- What does it mean to have childlike faith?
- In what ways can we put this type of faith into practise? What are the benefits for living this way?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Toy Joy – Page 65
Toy Joy – Page 65 Download PDF
One tug undoes the tidy ribbon and lights your eyes. A furry face in rainbow hues peeks through the crumpled shroud. Waiting. Chubby toddler fingers reverently explore the textiles, sweetening the moment. Your delighted grin makes me smile. Joy swells, tender and thick. “What will you name him?” Thoughtful consideration puckers young wispy brows. I smile. It is good.
Fur and feathers once paused before Adam, awaiting a name. Did Adam explore the texture and contours of each animal? Did his brows pucker in deliberation as he scrutinized movement, sound, and personality? Did joy swell in the Creator’s heart as wildlife hushed to receive a name?
We cannot know. But each stripe, spot, mane, and tail provides a rare glimpse of God and His endless ability to create beauty from nothing.
Now the LORD God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name.
GENESIS 2:19 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/YskICitzeLQ
- What can we learn from God having Adam name the animals? About God? About Man?
- What’s in a name? Whether they belong to people, brands or companies.
- Why did God sometimes change a person’s name in the Bible? Who were they and why?
- What are the different names and titles of Jesus Christ?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Belly Laugh – Page 69
Belly Laugh – Page 69 Download PDF
You peek over the brim. A smile spreads. Eyes delight. I tiptoe near, playing the game. Your belly laugh slips through the blanket. Rolls of chub pump up and down. Glee resounds. You reach and stretch, desperate for skin to touch skin, for whispered songs, and arms of love.
I sing “Amazing Grace” to amazing grace. I delight in you and in how my love quiets you. Joy spills over my heart’s brim as I sing songs of love to my love.
Much like how the Father rejoices over me, I rejoice over you. He delights in us and quiets us with His love.
The LORD your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.
ZEPHANIAH 3:17 ESV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/3BaNdUEJh14
- What does it mean that God will rejoice over us with singing? Zephaniah 3:17
- Does God have a sense of humor? Does He laugh?
- Does God want us to be happy and enjoy life? Find bible verses about joy and laughter.
- What brings a parent joy? Why? What brings parents grief?
- What brings God joy? Why? What brings God grief?
- Where does true joy and happiness come from? What can rob us of our joy?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Smell The Roses – Page 75
Smell The Roses – Page 75 Download PDF
God made you and me. He designed us. He loves us. God created the heavens and earth, the visible and the invisible, in layered details. He breathed life into creation.
When you question your origins, look around. Observe the inner working of creation. The heavens declare God’s glory and the sky proclaims His handiwork.
It is designed to point you to Him.
God instilled in you a hunger for love, a void that only He can fill. The world will offer temporary fixes that lead to destruction. But if you seek wisdom, you will find that true satisfaction comes from the Lord.
Much like how I loved you long before you ever knew me or entered into relationship with me, God has loved you long before you ever loved Him. His irresistible love will soften your heart. I hope and pray that you will turn toward Him—toward His love—because He loved you first.
Watch, my child, how in times of crisis, humankind instinctively turns toward God. We somehow know the only one who can heal a broken heart is the one who formed it.
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
ROMANS 1:20 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/MUpUsdQTU0w
- Are we too busy to stop and investigate life? What does the bible say about being too busy?
- The human eye, complex and intricate. With evidence pointing to a Creator, why does man still deny Him?
- In time of crisis, our instinct is to turn to God, even those who don’t believe. Why is this?
- Read Romans 1:20. Is there evidence for the existence of God?
- Why does God allow natural disasters such as earthquakes, tsunamis and hurricanes?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Look Up – Page 77
Look Up – Page 77 Download PDF
Mother’s cuddles and kisses grow into responsibility, into spooning food into bird-like mouths, sanitizing bottles and doctoring scrapes. It is endless love cycling like clothes in the dryer.
Childhood’s popsicles and bubbles grow into maturity, into moving from being fed the Word of God, to digging in yourself, into accepting that friends can be fickle, but can also be family, into the testing of adolescence where the values we’ve planted will sprout.
You’ll decide what you believe —about everything—wearying your soul. When these difficult days arrive, run to Jesus.
All things are possible when you replenish your strength with His strength.
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
MATTHEW 11:28 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/pQgDUnVu2Gw
- Life can be tough. Find bible verses for when you feel burdened, weary, discouraged or alone.
- If you were God’s enemy, what would you do to prevent people looking up and seeking Him?
- Where is God when it hurts? Find bible verses that assure us that God really is watching over us.
- Your faith journey is not your parents. A relationship with God is personal. Explain why?
- How does a parent keep trusting God when they see no evidence of His working in their child’s life?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Be Careful Little Eyes What You See – Page 81
Be Careful Little Eyes What You See – Page 81 Download PDF
A bird soars. A tree towers. The intricate design of a flower captures your admiration. They are glimpses of Him, directing all eyes to His glory. His glory is so incomprehensible that a wondrous snapshot overwhelms and lives in the mind’s eye forever.
But the broken world competes for affection. It desperately offers alternatives. It offers unlovely snapshots impossible to forget, littered through movies, books and photographs. They are dangerous images, declaring war.
So, we teach you discernment. We encourage you to look away. We shield your innocence as long as we can until you must decide: Will you feast on the things of your Creator or on the things of this unholy world? When happenstance thrusts temptation before you—blink. In that second, discern what most honors our Father. If needed, look away. Don’t chance the second glance you can never forget.
Protect the images stored in your mind. Protect your innocence. Protect your purity. Protect your faith.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable —if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
PHILIPPIANS 4:8 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/fDAc1ouGYYk
- What are the dangers of pornography? What are ways we can combat this epidemic?
- What are the dangers of desensitization? What behaviours can we become desensitized to?
- What are the dangers of secret sins? What does the bible say about them?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Stay Pure – Page 83
Stay Pure – Page 83 Download PDF
How can the young keep their way pure? Sin is deceptively enticing, pursuing with smooth talk and dangled bait. The foolish follow, like oxen to the slaughter, not knowing it will cost their life.
Be wise, my child. Culture has always lied, claiming everything is permissible. Culture has always failed to warn of the cost. Just because you want to doesn’t mean you should. Sexuality is not an appetite meant to be stirred or satisfied outside the safety of marriage. Do not delight in forbidden pleasures or meditate on temporal beauty. Both are fleeting.
Instead, make wisdom your intimate friend. The adulterer makes bold promises of fulfillment, but wisdom knows that all who partake leave empty and ashamed.
Welcome the Lord’s statues. Declare His rules with your lips. Delight in His testimonies. Meditate on His precepts. Do not forget His Word.
Guard your purity, according to the Word.
Seek the Lord with your whole heart and follow His commands. Store up His words in your heart, and you will not sin. Do not adulterate your love for the Lord.
Stay pure, my child.
Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.
COLOSSIANS 3:5 ESV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/0Swq75ujS_g
- Why should the Bible be our source for morality? What about all those laws in the old testament?
- In a culture that encourages us to do whatever we want, what are the benefits for staying pure?
- What is obedience? What does the bible reveal about the way of peace, and how can we live that way?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Beauty On The Inside – Page 87
Beauty On The Inside – Page 87 Download PDF
Shades of princess. Glossy pouts. Flitting eyelashes. Quivering lips. Warm cheeks. Sweet exhalation. Beautiful? Yes.
But godly beauty digs deeper. It is unfading, unaltered by age, race, or dress size. It cannot be purchased and lacks worldly glitter. It promises inerasable loveliness.
True beauty roots in a heart in love with our Lord. It blooms into a woman worth far more than rubies. More than polish, styles, or charms, emulate a beauty that never fades.
Cultivate a gentle spirit obedient to God.
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewellery and fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.
1 PETER 3:3-4 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/aV1a39Mq2EE
- What would the world be like if we did not have mirrors?
- If beauty on the inside is so important, should I care about my outward appearance?
- Should followers of Christ have nice things? What does the bible say about material possessions?
- What does the bible say about inner beauty?
- Parents love their children no matter what they look like. How does this reveal how God loves us?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – He Knows You – Page 89
He Knows You – Page 89 Download PDF
My lips press against ten slender fingers and ten perfect toes, one by one. My thumb grazes across one forehead and pinches two cheeks. My hands powder one bottom. We flutter eyelashes, rub noses, and blow kisses.
I scrutinize your miraculous form: memorizing your smiles, learning your sounds, and reading your gestures. I live to know you more.
I discern your happy and sad babbles. I recognize your hunger, exhaustion, and overstimulation. I anticipate your rising and know when you need rest. I soothe your sorrows, give endless hugs, and—when the time comes—I respect your space.
I know you well, but there is One who knows you better. He doesn’t merely study or admire your form—He designed it, even counting each strand of hair as He placed it.
You have searched me, LORD, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you, LORD, know it completely.
PSALM 139:1-4 NIV
And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
MATTHEW 10:30 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/un–v_JyO1s
- Can we hide anything from God?
- What does it mean that God is omniscient?
- Read Psalm 139. God knows everything about me. He knows the good, bad and the ugly. Does He still love me?
- If God is all-knowing and He knows our future, then how is that free will?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – You Will Have Heartbreak – Page 93
You Will Have Heartbreak – Page 93 Download PDF
Adam and Eve bruised this world by their transgression. They sent creation into a downward spiral of sickness, sorrow, death and evil—made personal through the inherited war raging for each soul.
It breaks God’s heart.
His creation chose greed over generosity, flesh over purity, selfishness over love.
It hurts His holiness.
When you press your cheek against the brokenness of this world, your heart will weep. But the sin that devastates not only surrounds, it is within. You, my precious child, have inherited this black stain of sin. Weep for your own brokenness that wounds the holiness of God.
There is no escaping the pain that comes through life in a fallen creation. There is no escaping your part in shattering God’s perfection. There is no escaping the sin that you must wrestle down and surrender. There is no escape, but there is victory.
God extends grace through Jesus. When you repent and surrender, Jesus can free you from the penalty of sin and replace your ache for self with an ache for God.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.
ROMANS 7:15-19 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/Q5MOlwINIKo
- What is sin? Are there consequences of sin?
- How do we put sin to death in our lives?
- How do we forgive those who have sinned against us? What does the bible say about forgiveness?
- The person in prison still has a parent who loves them. What would they want their child to do?
- Can we judge sin? Is all sin equal in the eyes of God? What are the steps to reconciliation with God?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – God Doesn’t Make Mistakes – Page 97
God Doesn’t Make Mistakes – Page 97 Download PDF
You’ll hear it’s a choice. You’ll hear that it’s your choice. You’ll hear that you get to decide with which gender you’ll identify — male or female — and that your anatomy matters little.
Your generation presents everything as optional. Your generation, in crisis in so many ways, pits truth against experience, implying your Creator is lacking.
Your generation resists the truth that a Creator made you, exactly you, to be who you are, male or female. My whole being aches for your generation, hungering for deep and wild love, unconditional acceptance, and looking for it everywhere but in the place it can be found.
Contentment, profound and pure, begins in a life lived in accordance to His Word.
Guard your heart. Seek the Lord. Store His words in you. Meditate on His precepts. Delight in His statues. Remember who you are. You are His chosen, the apple of His eye, His treasured possession, fearfully and wonderfully made.
You are blessed, precious, adored, prized, beloved, bought at a price, and washed clean by His blood. Male or female, as God has ordained.
They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator — who is forever praised. Amen.
Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.
Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.
ROMANS 1:25-28 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/YAvkXyoYpY4
- Read 1 Corinthians 6:9. How serious is any unrepented sin?
- What are the main facts everyone should know about a christian view of homosexuality?
- How should christians treat people in the LGBT community including close family & friends?
- Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone, except God – Billy Graham. Explain
- How can Christ alone provide the satisfaction and joy we so desperately seek?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – My Lost Sheep – Page 101
My Lost Sheep – Page 101 Download PDF
It’s not always the weakest who wander. The adventure-seeker, independent, strong-willed, and defiant might also abandon the flock.
It doesn’t really matter why you left. It only matters that you’re gone. You left a gaping hole that will never fully heal. The world moves on, alive with laughter, tears, joy and sorrow. But, no matter how many distractions press in, I must chase YOU, irreplaceable you. My love never ceases. Your absence is torment. I long for my child. I endlessly pursue.
When I stumble across your tangled despair, I point the way free. I point toward the greatest adventure, the place of true freedom, where your brawn becomes weakness before the cross holding strength.
I point toward Jesus because only Jesus can usher a lost heart home—really home. When He finds what He seeks, we joyfully celebrate the return of our lost sheep.
Then Jesus told them this parable:
“Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn’t he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says,
‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’
I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.
LUKE 15:3-7 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/o_E_k9UINCk
- Look at parents whose child has gone missing. Do they ever stop looking? What can we learn about God?
- What is the meaning of the parable of the lost sheep? Matthew 18:12-14 & Luke 15:3-7
- Matthew 25:31–46. What can we learn from the parable of sheep and goats? Who do they represent?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Tears – Page 103
Tears – Page 103 Download PDF
They will come. They collect drop by drop, in flowing streams, or a flood of emotion. Tears are unavoidable in this pain-filled world where no one learns to walk without falling, make friends without hurting, risk without breaking, try without failing, love without losing, or live without dying.
The tears will fall. As they do, I promise to catch what I can. I’ll kiss your scraped knees and love you through broken hearts. But some tears will fall too fast for me. The ache will be bigger than you, bigger than me.
Only one person can wipe those tears. He promises to collect them in a bottle. He promises an inheritance where tears will be no more.
He is our sovereign Lord.
When this world brings fresh sorrow, turn to Him. Choose the narrow gate that leads to the place of ultimate healing where the last come first. Here, your robes are washed white in the blood of the Lamb. You’ll never hunger, never thirst, never bake under the scorching sun, and the Lamb will lead you to living water.
There is no more death, mourning, crying or pain. Everything is made new.
The Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end fully satisfy.
You will see God’s face, no longer under the curse, no longer in darkness because He is the light. You will be safe and know that this God is your God. He wipes away your tears.
He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.
REVELATION 21:4 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/FmAH_7AIbgA
- What does the bible say about tears? Where does a believer turn in times of sorrow and pain? How?
- What does it mean that God collects our tears in a bottle? Psalm 56:8
- Why did God create such a vast array of emotions in humans? Does God have emotions? Does He cry?
- Is loving God an emotion, a feeling, or a decision? Do we have to know God to love Him?
- Why is being a christian teen so difficult? Why is it cool to be bad? What wisdom does the bible give?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – It Happened to Me – Page 105
It Happened to Me – Page 105 Download PDF
That babe who adored her parents grew into a rebellious teen that disrespected them. It wasn’t overnight. It was a million small steps away. It was one tiny sin at a time.
Attempts at redirection failed because I refused to be taught, and worse, I refused to be loved. My mother grievously gave me over to my selfish desires. She withdrew her protection and allowed me to suffer the consequences of my sinful choices, with a desperate hope I’d find Jesus at the bottom of my pit.
I look into your sweet face and know the same spirit of rebellion that rose up in me is active in you, because it is active in all of us.
I pray that your heart remains soft to the prodding of God, sensitive to His correction and desirous of pleasing Him. I pray you are spared the degradation of God giving you over to your sin. You think it can’t happen, but it can. Our loving Father will ultimately let you choose your path — even if it is the path to destruction.
God, in His great mercy, called me back to Him, but those rebellious years haunt. The wounds I inflicted upon my family rent my heart. The nails my sin pounded into Christ’s flesh crush my spirit. Yet, He called me back.
As long as there was breath in my lungs, there was opportunity for salvation. God wishes that none would perish, but that all would come to repentance. That is His wish for me, His wish for you.
So I let them follow their own stubborn desires, living according to their own ideas.
PSALM 81:12 NLT
Link to video: https://youtu.be/aIovy3_BXWA
- What does the bible say about rebellion? Against authority? Against God? What are the consequences?
- Is God a God of second chances? What does the bible say about second, third and fourth chances?
- What does the bible say about household salvation? Can a religious family member get me into heaven?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Popularity Versus Obedience – Page 109
Popularity Versus Obedience – Page 109 Download PDF
You are an image bearer of Christ, but you won’t always reflect Him. Your spirit and flesh will war between pleasing the Lord and pleasing the crowd. Sometimes the crowd will win the battle, but you must not let them win the war.
This is a struggle between light and dark, truth and lies, good and evil. This is a battle between the past, present, and future.
Your Savior has already won, but you are not yet finished fighting. You want to blend in, be accepted, and be celebrated, but all who are His will be hated by many for Christ’s sake. There is no other way. If you side with the world you will be judged by God. If you side with the Lord, you will be hated by the world.
Popularity tempts even the strongest warrior, but always remember it is fickle.
Only God is constant. He is perfect and His Word is clear. He hates pride and deceit. He hates wicked plans, eagerness for evil, and those who stir up strife. We must also hate these traits and shun all such practices. We must watch and pray against them and avoid those who partake in them. This position won’t win you worldly friends, but if you don’t stand for truth now, in the last days, you won’t stand at all.
Fight the good fight. Refuse to surrender your soul to the side that cannot win. The battle rages fierce. The enemy presses in and whispers lies and temptations in an effort to distract you from the truth.
Victory is yours. Christ has won. Death is defeated and all who stand with Christ are victorious.
Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers.
PSALM 1:1-3 ESV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/AauCh-M8VYg
- Are there blessings to living in obedience? To our parents as children? To God as adults?
- What commandment comes with a promise? What does it mean to honour your mother and father?
- What are the biggest reasons people reject Christ? Christianity?
- How should a christian respond to persecution? Read Matthew 5:10-12, Matthew 10:22 and John 15:18
- What is true friendship according to the bible?
- What does the bible say about swearing and cursing? How should a christian teen be set apart?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Your First Crush – Page 111
Your First Crush – Page 111 Download PDF
It is hard for me to imagine you loving anyone more than you love us, but you will. Your heart will shift. Loyalties we once owned will slowly transfer. Adoration will glow for another. We prepare to give you away. That’s what a parent does.
God designed you to fall in love. He designed you to want and need another person. It’s okay to feel like part of a whole.
But remember, with Christ, you already have everything and everyone you’ll ever need. He is complete.
Still, when that crush turns your head for the first time, I’ll remind myself it is all part of the journey. It is all part of God’s design for you to learn to love someone else in the self-sacrificing way that sanctifies. And instead of telling you that you are too young, we’ll engage about what makes a worthy companion, how anyone is not better than no one, and that if you cling to the wrong one, you miss out on the right one.
So, do not settle. Flash impresses, but character endures. Christ-like character.
Christ-like character is patient and kind. It does not envy or boast. It is not proud, rude, self-seeking, or easily angered. It keeps no record of wrong. Christ-like character delights in good and rejoices in the truth. Flash fades but character deepens. So, be kind, but selective.
Only God never disappoints because He loves with perfection. The rest need grace and forgiveness. That includes you, so choose someone willing to forgive. And when you fix your eyes on Jesus with a focus on becoming the person He desires, your other half will meet you there, at the foot of Christ’s cross, their eyes fixed on the Saviour.
What you really want, really need, deep down inside—what you want more than just anyone—is someone who values that gift of Love, respecting all that it cost, and who is willing to lay down their life defending it.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
MATTHEW 5:6-10 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/MiyPzGZnXO0
- God’s way is contrary to the world’s ways. How do we separate from the world’s view on dating?
- What is missionary dating? Why you should avoid it?
- What is the difference between dating and courting?
- Why is it important to love God first and most? Mark 12:30
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Please Do Not Ever Hurt Yourself – Page 113
Please Do Not Ever Hurt Yourself – Page 113 Download PDF
I would absorb your hurt, if I could. I would take every scar, every open wound, every disappointment, and shield you from the agony of broken living. But I can’t. The best I can do is to prepare you for the painful walk of human existence and the resulting cuts and bruises.
There will be despair. There will be anger. There will be grief. It is inescapable, so develop healthy coping skills now. Misplaced anger and pain can manifest in destructive ways, such as self-harm. Physical pain might bring temporary relief from stress, but it is short-lived and leads to further self-destruction. I don’t want you to self-destruct.
I want you to grow stronger. I want you to take this faith that I have lived imperfectly, and see in it the perfect God who can absorb your pain and sin. See the perfect God who can do for you the one thing I cannot—save your soul.
Your body is not your own. God paid an exorbitant price to cover your sins and purchase your redemption. Take refuge in the shadows of His wings till the storms of destruction pass by. Cry out to God most high, the God who will fulfill His purpose for you.
Depend on His steadfast love and faithfulness.
Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.
1 CORINTHIANS 6:19-20 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/_-umOE5hrhE
- What does the Bible say about cutting, self-harm and self mutilation?
- What does the bible say about loving your body?
- Anxiety and stress are part of life. What are some biblical methods for handling stress?
- What does the bible say about suicide? How can we help someone contemplating this?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Moving Out – Page 115
Moving Out – Page 115 Download PDF
It goes so fast. One minute you hold my hand and pledge to stay forever. The next, you peck my cheek and drive away. Your entire life I have worked to prepare you for this good-bye, and I am so proud of the adult you’ve become. But I cry.
I cry for the seemingly never-ending childhood that has ended, and I wish for more. One more chance to cook your meals. One more hour to snuggle close. One more family movie with popcorn. One more bedtime prayer. One more chapter in one more book. But we can’t go back. Only forward.
I can’t change the words spoken in haste that crushed your young spirit. I can’t change the ‘no’ that should have been ‘yes’, or the ‘yes’ that should have been ‘no’. I can’t change the time I never had for the things that seemed unimportant upon which hindsight shines great value. And now you’re grown.
I wonder, worry, and grieve over all that wasn’t perfect. I pray that you look past my flaws and find the grace that covers sins.
All our sins. I spent my life to keep you safe in an unsafe world only to long for you to risk it all as you establish your own household.
Risk your comfort for the one thing that matters. Jesus. Stand out, stand up, and live for Him. Speak bold. Love deep.
God’s truth is truth. It is a foundation that does not—cannot—change. Fight for that truth. Risk for that truth. Live for that truth. Build your home on that truth.
And one day, God willing, you’ll stand in your driveway and wave good-bye to a child who grew up too fast. And you’ll smile through the tears.
The righteous keep moving forward, and those with clean hands become stronger and stronger.
JOB 17:9 NLT
Link to video: https://youtu.be/J1GO2-W9big
- What is risking your comfort for the one thing that matters look like? Why should Jesus matter most?
- What does the bible say about children leaving their parents?
- Read Ephesians 6:1-4. Do adult children still need to honour their parents? How should parents respond?
- We are all responsible for our own walk with the Lord. How do we know if we are maturing in Christ?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – God’s Word and the Heart of Man – Page 117
God’s Word and the Heart of Man – Page 117 Download PDF
The farmer plants. Seed scatters on the path, feeding birds. Seed falls in rocky places and among the thorns. Seed falls in good soil. Some seeds root, but never birth like a lost child ripping at the heart of God. Yet, the farmer keeps farming.
The enemy devours what scatters. Scorching circumstances and unforgiveness can cause a hardened heart. Idolatrous thorns choke off breath.
One seed remains. One seed planted deeply roots a soft heart, and grows in good soil. Be the seed that grows. Be the seed that grows into a fruit-producing tree pruned by the gardener.
Painful experiences stretch limbs high toward the sun and send roots deep in search of water. Be the tree that lifts its arms high in dependence and worship.
Spread your roots deep into living water. Be the seed that flourishes, producing God-pleasing fruit by abiding in Him, in His good soil.
I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
JOHN 15:5 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/Djmw4Aj3EuU
- What did Jesus use the parable of the sower to explain? Matthew 13:1-23, Mark 4:1-20 and Luke 8:4
- The seed = God’s word. The seed is not the problem. What is the best way to plant seeds to an unbeliever?
- What actions and behaviours can stunt our spiritual growth? What are the warning signs?
- What does it mean “to be pruned by the gardener”? Read John 15:1-4
- Read 1 Corinthians 3:7. How does this relate to John 15:5?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Son, Prepare For Marriage – Page 119
Son, Prepare For Marriage – Page 119 Download PDF
You are meant to love like Christ loves the church. You are meant to love sacrificially, unconditionally, leading your wife with her needs in mind—not just your own.
Practice that kind of love now. No other woman—two-or three-dimensional—should ever capture your attention, mind, or heart the way your wife will. That’s how you are meant to love your wife.
But before she becomes your wife, remember that she is someone’s daughter and someone’s sister. Treat her with the utmost respect. Before she becomes your girlfriend, she should be your friend. She should be a friend you protect. No matter how she may present herself, no matter how flashy, how exposed, or how needy, you are responsible for your actions.
Groom godly, husbandly traits now. Love her with her needs in mind, protecting her virtue, refusing to bend, looking away from temptation. Choose honourable love. Practice counter-cultural love that is more concerned about meeting needs than having needs met. Practice love that appreciates modesty, values mutual respect, and shares devotion to the Lord.
This love is worth waiting for, worth dying for, worth choosing. The flush of feelings will come and go. What keeps a marriage fifty-plus years is not the romantic rush that thunders through your veins. It’s recognizing that love is a decision.
Love is a choice to commit. A choice to tether your heart to another until death. Love is a choice to make feelings secondary, and actions purposeful. Decide to love with honor.
Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.
MARK 10:9 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/BvVWFvp65qU
- Read Ephesians 5 vs 25-33. What does it mean to love like Christ loves the church?
- What does it mean to have a sacrificial love for one another in marriage?
- Should a man love God more than he loves his wife? Why?
- What does it mean for the husband to be the spiritual leader? What are his responsibilities?
- What can we learn from the following scriptures? 1 Timothy 5:8; 1 Corinthians 16:13 & Philippians 2:3
- What godly traits should a christian man look for in a future wife?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Daughter, Prepare For Marriage – Page 121
Daughter, Prepare For Marriage – Page 121 Download PDF
Ours is the only love you know. Daddy plays hero, slaying dragons and winning your heart. But one day you’ll yearn for the love of another.
One day your adoration and devotion will shift, and another man will emerge as your prince. But don’t merely wait for this unnamed hero. Prepare.
Becoming the right mate should be just as important than finding the right mate. Are you patient and kind? Do you envy or boast? Are you arrogant or rude? Do you insist on your way? Are you irritable or resentful, rejoicing in wrongdoing or rejoicing in the truth?
Examine your heart. Are you ready to sacrifice yourself for the sake of another?
Follow the example of the only prince who will never fail you, the prince who left His throne to ransom Himself for His beloved. When you surrender to Him, He enables you to love others His way, with the kind of love that puts others first. Don’t waste your waiting.
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.
EPHESIANS 4:2-3 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/H_uus-pJziA
- Ephesians 5:22-24. What does the bible mean when it instructs wives to submit to their husbands?
- Read 1 Peter 3:1-7. How important is a husband & wife’s behaviour and attitude in marriage?
- What godly traits should a christian woman look for in a future husband?
- Read Proverbs 31:10-31. What can we learn from the wife of noble character?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – The Covenant of Marriage – Page 125
The Covenant of Marriage – Page 125 Download PDF
It’s like a fairy-tale. You float down an aisle layered in white, received by your groom, on the glowing cusp of happily-ever-after. Love shines from your intended, a visual of how God sees you as part of Christ’s bride. Beautiful. Precious. Treasured. You know every day will be like this.
Until it isn’t.
Your spouse cannot meet the deepest longings of your soul. The love you are searching for is illustrated through wedded love, but found in Christ. Set your anchor in the unfailing love of Jesus and marital storms will not send you adrift.
There will be days of calling out to God for the needed strength to remain faithful to your vows. There will be days where love is a choice, not a feeling. And God will use those blustering seasons to sanctify and shape you as part of Christ’s bride—if you let Him.
Marriage is a soul-shaping adventure that reflects the unity of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. It fulfills much more than a need for companionship. It illustrates God’s unbreakable covenant love with His people.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.
PROVERBS 3:5-6 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/PxnO6VrLs0w
- Why will your spouse never meet the deepest longings of your soul?
- How does faith in God play an intricate role in making marriages stronger?
- What should be different about a christian marriage?
- What is the trinity? How can the three become one? How is marriage a reflection of the trinity?
- Marriage is tough. What are some biblical principles for a successful marriage?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Seek Wisdom – Page 127
Seek Wisdom – Page 127 Download PDF
Tensions rise when two minds and two wills attempt to lead. One must lead. One must follow. Both must seek wisdom in their role.
Wisdom comes from the Lord and is found in the Word. Receive it and treasure its commands. Turn your ear toward wisdom. Call out to the Lord for insight, incline your heart to understand His ways.
Seek wisdom like silver; pursue it like a hidden treasure. Then, and only then, will you begin to comprehend the fear of the Lord. This is the beginning of knowledge – procuring a sweet and reverent awe of God, your Creator, your King.
The world presents an easier way. The world challenges our God-given roles in marriage but it leads to ruin. The world despises understanding. The world forgets wisdom’s instruction, but the wise heed its teaching.
You are meant for more than this world.
You are created for eternity. You are made in the image of the Lord Jesus.
Seeking Him, is the beginning of wisdom. Seeking Him first is foundational in a healthy marriage.
Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. Show hospitality to one another without grumbling.
1 PETER 4:8–9 ESV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/3av9zJbxk3k
- What are some deadly enemies of marriage and how should we avoid them?
- What are examples of how the world is threatening the sanctity of marriage?
- Why should we never call our spouse degrading names, jab with sharp critical words or put them down?
- Prayer as a couple is essential to the christian marriage. Why?
- What are the five love languages? Why is it important to know how your spouse feels loved?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Work Hard – Page 129
Work Hard – Page 129 Download PDF
You’ve outgrown our home. You’re on your own, making your own way in this crazy world. You no longer look to me for the answers, and that’s okay. It’s okay that you’ve outgrown your dependence upon me. It’s okay that your heart has been captured by love. It’s okay to become one half of a marriage union as long as you never outgrow your dependence upon the Lord. He speaks bold words about making your way in His world and providing for a family.
Aspire to live quietly. Mind your own affairs. Work hard, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one.
Do not grow weary of doing good. Do all things without grumbling or questioning and you will shine in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation.
Declare today that your home will serve the Lord.
Whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
COLOSSIANS 3:17 ESV
All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.
PROVERBS 14:23 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/1ClpdQzfifk
- Is it important to have godly character, good work ethic and a proper attitude in all that you do?
- Idle hands are the devils playground…why? What do the scriptures say about idleness?
- Does God provides us with unique skills, gifts and talents? Does He care about our careers?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Seek Help – Page 131
Seek Help – Page 131 Download PDF
Two sinners become one flesh, exposing selfish tendencies.
Marriage is a humbling adventure unlike any other undertaking. Set aside your pride and accept that two are better than one.
God knows it. I suspect He made you that way on purpose, lacking just enough to keep you dependent on Him and thankful for your partner. Your limitations are, perhaps, a great gift from Him, although you likely don’t view them that way. You want Him to remove the load when He wants you to share the load.
Your limitations point out your need for Christ. It is in the marriage relationship that heavy loads become lighter and limitations are not flaws—but are opportunities. They are opportunities to esteem others higher than yourself and let shared experiences reap godly wisdom. Don’t hide your need, your vulnerabilities, or your despair.
Welcome the comfort of love and let its ministry to your heart train you to better love your mate.
Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
ECCLESIASTES 4:12 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/a9Ji-fVgQhY
- Who do the cord of three strands consist of in Ecclesiastes 4:12? Why are they not quickly broken?
- What does the bible say about anxiety & depression? You are not alone, why should one seek help?
- Why is it important to take accountability for our own behaviour? What is wrong with blaming others?
- What does the bible say about counsel? How does one seek godly counsel?
- Why is asking for help honoring to God?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Infertility – Page 133
Infertility – Page 133 Download PDF
Your empty arms ache for the weight of a child. You pray. You wait. Hope and despair rage as the tempest shakes your very core.
A fearsome question blows: What if God says no? Infertility is only one of many wounds this fallen world inflicts.
We can’t know why God has allowed this sorrow. Mishap and fortune appear to fall haphazardly and it doesn’t seem fair. Why do others receive this blessing? Why not me?
Grief and faith rise and fall in a familiar dance and you wonder if the music will ever stop. It isn’t the song that played at your wedding, but it’s the one playing now. Never lose faith. The Lord can make this into beautiful music.
Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass.
PSALM 37:5 KJV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/QxwNzZBo9Hg
- What does the bible say about infertility? What bible verses can encourage those struggling?
- Discuss the sovereignty of God and what that means in our everyday lives.
- What does it mean to give thanks in all circumstances? 1 Thessalonians 5:18.
- How should a christian couple deal with infertility?
- What does the bible say about family planning?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – You May Lose a Child – Page 137
You May Lose a Child – Page 137 Download PDF
From the moment you knew, love grew. A sweet combination of your matrimonial love nestled underneath your heart, swelling until God’s predetermined day arrived—a day far too early.
You asked for a miracle. But, instead of holding your baby, you hold your spouse, and you want to know why. Why does God write short stories for some? Why does He say, “No”? Still, God is good. He is good when it is easy and good when it is hard. He is good when He gives and He is good when He takes away. The best comfort is the God of comfort who wastes nothing. Not even this.
Even in your grief, He can be glorified.
There is only one who loves your child more than you, and He knows you would have taken their place to save their life. He knows you would have sacrificed everything for them. He knows because His child died, too. His child took your place to save your life.
His child died for more than the healing of physical ailments, He died to absorb the sin that destroys souls. His child died to accomplish the bigger miracle and because of that, there can be a day when you will hold your baby — your healthy, whole, and perfect baby.
So grieve for now, my sweet child. But grieve with hope. God has allowed this tragedy for reasons we cannot understand, but He has also made a way through. He made a way through this loss, a way through this life, a way into eternity with Him where your sorrow will turn to joy. Endless joy.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
MATTHEW 5:4 KJV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/Y6-NAU1yF5w
- What are practical examples of how we can comfort those who mourn?
- A parent would sacrifice their life to save their child. How does this reflect Jesus’ love for us?
- Parents should never outlive their children. Why does God allow children to suffer and die?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – I’ll Always Love You More – Page 139
I’ll Always Love You More – Page 139 Download PDF
Love that flows down from parent to child differs from the love that flows up from child to parent. It’s okay. It’s what enables you to grow up, leave home, and begin your own family.
But the day you meet your firstborn, you will better understand parental love —unconditional, dominating, never-ending love. And the same sacrificial stream will pour out from you to your child.
This love will quietly devour every minute of every day. It fuels you through the endless tasks of parenthood. It empowers you to smile through tears, guilt, and exhaustion.
This consuming love for your child is fueled by God’s consuming love for you. The unconditional, dominating, never-ending love flowing down from our Father empowers you to love others through tears, guilt, and exhaustion. As the Holy Spirit sustains you, lending you His perfect strength, this season becomes less about parenting perfectly, and more about how you respond to the challenges of parenting. This season ceases to be solely about shaping them, and includes shaping you.
God molds you through your children, teaching you how to be a better parent, but also how to be a pleasing child, totally dependent on Him.
And you grow in your faith just a little bit more.
For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.
PHILIPPIANS 4:13 NLT
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
ROMANS 8:38-39 NIV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/6ROuSFPT9vk
- How do you explain the love of God and your love for Him to someone who has never experienced it?
- How do you explain the unconditional love for your children to someone who has never experienced it?
- What are some trials and tribulations we go through as parents that makes God as a parent relatable?
- What does the bible say about parents who abandon their children?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – You Will Understand – Page 141
You Will Understand – Page 141 Download PDF
Children are a gift from the Lord. The first time those tiny fingers curl around yours, you’ll know. Children are the sweet fruit of love. You’ll gaze in wonderment at the fearfully and wonderfully made being tucked into your arms and you’ll know. You will finally understand my love for you.
Now your heart beats outside your body and you understand the depths of parental love. You’ve glimpsed into the future and know you cannot hold this baby forever, just like I could not hold you forever. The day will come when you will have to let go.
You’ll watch them walk away with a teacher, a doctor, a nurse, a spouse.
You wave, blinking back tears, with the same brave smile that stretches across my face. You understand. Love lets go, but it never goes away.
My job is done. Now it is your turn.
Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him.
PSALM 127:3 NLT
Link to video: https://youtu.be/t_aiUPYPPzs
- What are the different types of love found in the bible? What type is parental love?
- Some fall instantly in love with God, some it’s over time. How is this similar with parental love?
- Why was the cycle of human life important in God’s design of creation? What are the benefits?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Your Inheritance – Page 143
Your Inheritance – Page 143 Download PDF
It will flow from me to you. It is not earned because it is a gift. My riches are bequeathed to you because I love you. Our relationship demands this from me.
It will flow from you to your child. It cannot be earned. You will gift it in love because you love your child. Your relationship will demand it.
It flows from Him to us. His wealth. His heaven is bequeathed to us because He loves us. Our relationship through His salvation allows it.
Our heavenly Father determines who receives this eternal inheritance. He determines it by relationship, by a right relationship with Him made possible by His Son.
We, who were once alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, are now reconciled in Christ’s body by His death, in order that we may be presented holy, blameless, and above reproach. In Christ, we receive our inheritance.
Our inheritance can never perish, spoil, or fade and is being kept for us in heaven. Our inheritance is made possible because of the worth imputed upon us by Christ.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
1 PETER 1: 3-5 ESV
Link to video: https://youtu.be/am5bEiNZFMo
- Why would a parent cut a child out of their will? Why are relationships so important to God?
- What lies do some believe will gain them entrance into heaven?
- What does the bible say about heaven? Find scriptures to support your answer.
- Read John 3:1-14. What does it mean to be born again? What is the purpose of adult baptism?
- Read Matthew 7:21-23. What is missing in the person’s relationship with Jesus?
Unexpected Love, Letters of Love to my Baby – Until We Meet Again – Page 145
Until We Meet Again – Page 145 Download PDF
Good-bye arrives too soon and it tempts me to say it wasn’t enough. I’ll never be ready to leave you. I’ll never be ready to let go, but I must because He sheathed immortal souls in temporal flesh and earthen vessels. He gives us just enough.
We have just enough time to embrace our Creator. We have just enough opportunity to glorify Him. We have just enough love. We have just enough laughter. We have just enough.
I inhale the temporary and exhale eternity, leaving you these letters. In the absence of my comforting arms, breathy kisses, and damp tears, remember our Lord.
He is the perfect Father who never leaves. He will guide you, counsel you, and love you until all your written days transpire. He is the only constant in this changing world. Through good and bad, hard and easy, joys and sorrows turn to Him and believe. You have just enough time to believe that He is more than enough for all time.
I have cared for you since you were born. Yes, I carried you before you were born.I will be your God throughout your lifetime— until your hair is white with age. I made you, and I will care for you. I will carry you along and save you.
ISAIAH 46:3B-4 NLT
Link to video: https://youtu.be/LRujJ_4xSmc
- What is the importance of having an eternal perspective in a temporary world?
- What biblical truths keep believers grounded in this life and confirm this world is not our home?
- How do you know if you are truly saved?